Local Red Velvet Muffins
Yield: 8 large muffins
• 1 large Beet
• 1 ½ cups Baker’s Flour
• 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
• 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
• ¼ tsp Salt
• 2 Eggs (room temperature)
• ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
• 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
• 1 heaped tbsp Dairy Dairy ABC Powdered Milk + ¼ cup Water (mixed)
• ¼ cup Butter (softened)
• ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
• 1 cup White Chocolate Chips
- Wash and boil beet for 5-10 minutes, cool then peel. Cut into chunks, place in blender and cover with water. Blend until smooth.
- Use a fine mesh sieve or strainer to drain off the liquid (this liquid can be reserved to make a beet punch).
• Store the beet pulp in a separate bowl.
• Pre-heat oven to 325º F.
• Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt to a separate bowl and mix.
• Add eggs, oil, vanilla essence and Dairy Dairy ABC Powdered Milk to another bowl and whisk.
• Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl.
• Add creamed butter and sugar to dry ingredients and mix.
• Add wet ingredients (eggs, oil, vanilla essence and Dairy Dairy ABC Powdered Milk) and mix.
• Add the beet pulp by folding into the mixture.
• Add white chocolate chips by folding into the mixture.
• Prepare the muffin pan with large muffin liners.
• Fill each liner about 3/4 full leaving some space for the muffin to rise when baking. Place the tray in the oven and bake at 325º F for 20 minutes (baking is done when the muffin springs back up when touched and a toothpick when inserted, comes out clean. Please note, if your toothpick grazes a chocolate chip it will not be dry because the hot chip will be soft).
• Allow to cool when finished baking, remove from pan and enjoy!