Chocolate Cupcakes with Baileys Irish Cream Frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Essence
- 2 tsp Instant Coffee (brewed)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 cups White Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 large Eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup Homemade Buttermilk
(2 heaped tbsp Dairy Dairy Full Cream Powdered Milk + ½ cup Water (mixed) with ½ tbsp White Vinegar – mix well)
- ½ cup Butter (room temp.)
- ½ cup Shortening (room temp.)
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp melted Chocolate
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4-5 tbsp Baileys
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and heat to 350º F. Place liners into cupcake pans and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and remove from the heat and set aside. When cooled, add the vanilla essence and instant coffee.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the buttermilk until smooth.
- Fill the batter in the liners to about halfway to allow for rising without overflow and bake for 20-25 minutes. When done, a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the chocolate frosting.