Cherry Coconut Sweetbread
Yield: 1 loaf
• 2 ½ cups All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
• 3 tsp Baking Powder
• ½ tsp Salt
• 1 ¾ cups Brown Sugar
• 1 cup Red Cherries
• ½ cup Raisins
• ¼ cup Glazed Mixed Fruits
• 1 ½ cups Finely Grated Coconut
• ¼ tsp Grated Nutmeg
• 2 tbsp Margarine
• 4 heaped tbsp Dairy Dairy Low Fat Powdered Milk + ½ cup Water (mixed)
• 1 Egg (room temperature)
• 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
• Preheat oven to 320º F.
• Grease one 8-inch bread tin with margarine.
• Lightly flour the bread tin and set aside (this aids in easier removal of the sweetbread).
• In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
• Add sugar, cherries, raisins and glazed mixed fruits. Mix evenly with a wooden spoon.
• Add grated coconut and grated nutmeg. Again mix evenly with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
• In a small pot under low heat melt 2 tbsp margarine. When completely melted remove from heat and let cool.
• Using another small bowl add Dairy Dairy Low Fat Powdered Milk, egg, vanilla essence and melted butter. Mix at low speed using a stand mixer.
• In the bowl with the flour mixture make a well in the centre and add milk mixture. Mix slowly and evenly using a wooden spoon.
• The mixture should thicken. However, do not attempt to knead mixture with hands. Only use a wooden spoon and if necessary, a knife to remove mixture from the spoon.
• When evenly mixed, pour into bread tin and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
• When completely cooled, remove from bread tin and serve.